Friday, November 11, 2011

The Price of Entry

     I thought I knew the price of entry. He had signed up to join the Army before we were dating. I spent the entirety of our relationship wrapping my head around that idea. Coming to terms with being second at all times. Dealing with the fact that the chances of his death are significantly higher than a civilian job. I set myself up for all of this. I did research, I'm learning as much as I can, I'm coping with his absence as best as I can. And now things might be changing. Evidently he's suffering from stress fractures in his hips and talk of medical discharge has come up. 


     I had prepared for the price of entry of dating him. I had not prepared for him. he was talking about going to school, getting a degree of some sort. Don't misunderstand me, I am FULLY supportive of schooling and education, but I am not prepared to be in a relationship with someone just entering school. I'm graduating this Spring. I need to be entering the workforce after that to pay for college loans and bills. I can't tie myself to one place for four more years because I don't know where I'll manage to land a job. I prepared to date someone who was entering into a very dangerous career. I chose to date him because, despite his age, he was mature for his age. he had to grow up fast being in the foster system and being bounced around so much. And he was ready to start a career. He was joining the Army. Now all of that might change. And I don't know what to do anymore. 

No comments:

Post a Comment